Sunday, December 13, 2009

12/12/09

Found out about a neat chemical called "Evaporust" for cleaning parts. I have been amazed with this stuff so far. It takes about 12-24 hours for it to work completely on parts that have a decent covering of rust. The results are amazing. Paint marks are preserved like I have never seen before. Here are pics of the lower leaves of the leaf springs. The yellow and green paint marks look great! These could not be seen at all with just a regular cleaning. With some mineral spirits, I could sort of see them, but after soaking in Evaporust for about 12 hours, came out looking new. I am thinking of putting together something large enough to soak the remaining leaves.





Of course, I had to soak other parts, including rear spring plates. In doing so, discovered pink marks on the u-bolts. Have seen this before on Unrestored cars, so was nice to confirm on another one.



Cleaned a set of rear brake plates. The white check marks were uncovered. Have been seeing this consistently on the San Jose cars from this time period. I suppose it was a check mark to indicate the brakes had been adjusted.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to tell you, I bought some Evaporust at your recommendation while restoring my 66 Mustang and the stuff is awesome. Thanks for the heads up. They do stock it a Harbor Freight.

    ReplyDelete